“Save a bottle, shape our future”
The RefillNotLandfill message is being embraced in Ly Son Island, Vietnam
LÝ SƠN ISLAND hosts roughly 100,000 tourists annually and this figure keeps increasing. During World Environment Day (June 5, 2018) in Ly Son MPA, IUCN, in collaboration with Live & Learn, Human Society International (HSI) and Ly Son MPA are organizing a communications campaign titled ‘Save a bottle, shape our future’ to reduce the use of single use plastic bottles in Lý Sơn Marine Protected Areas, as a prelude to its sea turtles conservation volunteer programme.
The program campaign, which is scheduled from 15 May to 1 June 2018, encourages hotel businesses to join the campaign by becoming Refill Stations as part of the initiative ‘RefillNotLandfill’. This helps to reduce the use of single-use plastic items for protecting the ocean from alarming plastic pollution and contribute to make marine ecosystems cleaner and safer for sea turtles returning to the island.
The campaign is a part of the Community–based marine turtle conservation programme” implemented by IUCN in 2018 (with the financial support of the U.S. FWS). Other programme partners include various hotels in Ly Son MPA and the “Refill not Landfill” initiative.
The objectives of the campaign are to:
- change the behavior and reduce the amount of single use plastic bottles used by tourists, local communities, and businesses;
- encourage local businesses to champion environmental protection and the reduction of bottle use;
- pilot the model of single-use plastic bottle reduction in Ly Son island and replicate it in other MPAs.
So far, 10 businesses (including hotels and guest houses in Ly Son MPA) have already committed to becoming Refill stations that provide free drinking water for tourists. It is expected that the number of businesses committed to this programme will further increase in the future
For more information about this campaign, please contact [email protected]
- The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Vietnam
- Live & Learn Vietnam
- Humane Society International (HSI)
- Department of Natural Resources and Environment, Quang Ngai Province
- Ly Son Marine Protected Area (MPA)
- RefillnotLandfill Asia